
Illegal gambling case against ex-MLB star in twist as new evidence surfaces
Yasiel Puig’s legal team delays entering guilty plea as lawyers for All-Star player ask for extra discovery time


Lawyers acting on behalf of ex-Major League Baseball (MLB) outfielder Yasiel Puig have asked for more time to consider new evidence in a case concerning illegal gambling in the US.
Puig had been expected to plead guilty to one count of making false statements to federal agents as part of a plea agreement with the US Department of Justice.
However, Puig’s legal team are rethinking this deal due to new information discovered by Puig’s agent Lisette Carnet, with lead defense attorney Keri Axel seeking to change the hearing date as well as asking for more discovery time to examine the new evidence.
“The government’s charge is based on the allegations that Mr Puig attempted to obstruct its inquiry by not being forthcoming about a person of interest and one of the government’s intended targets in the case,” Puig’s agent Carnet said in a statement concerning the case.
“Yesterday, the government made available the interview reports pertaining to the person of interest. It revealed facts that are exculpatory to Mr Puig and appear to corroborate facts that Puig told the government,” she added.
In January of this year, Puig allegedly lied to federal agents investigating an illegal gambling operation run by former minor league baseball player Wayne Nix, who was himself indicted on illegal gambling charges in April.
Puig started betting with Nix in May 2019, when still playing for the Cincinnati Reds, and lost almost $283,000 in just one month. Reimbursing this loss to the tune of $200,000, Puig went on to make 899 more bets on basketball, football, and tennis between July 4, 2019, and September 29, 2019.
Nix later pled guilty on charges of conspiracy to operate an illegal gambling business and filing false tax returns.
Under the terms of the plea agreement, signed in August, Puig acknowledged lying to federal officials in January but denied he had placed bets through Nix’s operation.
Earlier this month, authorities claimed Puig hindered prosecution efforts in the case against Nix, a claim disputed by Carnet, who questioned the interview process in the case and suggested Puig had not been given an interpreter or had his legal counsel with him when the investigations were conducted.
“Given his history growing up in authoritarian Cuba, government interviews are triggering and only worsen his ADHD symptoms and other mental health struggles, for which he is in treatment. He would have benefitted from this care at the time of the interview,” a statement issued by Carnet on November 15 read.
Alluding to that treatment on Wednesday, Carnet suggested Puig’s wellbeing was improving and he is focused on putting the investigation by federal authorities behind him.
“His attorneys, however, have the obligation to review with him all his possible defense, and this new information is sufficient to cause great pause and have his attorneys’ ask the court for a few days time while the defense counsel is able to determine the appropriate next steps for Mr Puig’s case,” Carnet concluded.